Thanks to the planet-spanning lepidoptera for his comments on an earlier post. Derek’s comments there inspire some thoughts.
What follows can be thought of as some personal goals for RSA.
- Don’t be boring.
- Stay within respectable time limit.
- Talk as much as possible; avoid reading (or, at least a boring reading. See above.).
- Network: Crowley and Hawhee are high on my list. Especially given a) my interest in arguments for abolishing FYC, and b) ethos/the body in ancient rhetoric.
- Buy drinks for the following: Pruchnic, Rices, Mueller.
- Ask at least one interesting question in every three panels I attend.
- Copious notes.
- Follow-up questions to panelists whose work I find really interesting.
- “Sorry I missed you” to panelists whose work sounds interesting but whose panels I can’t see.
- See some of the city–no hotel-hiding.
- Bury hatchet(s) with concerned person(s).
- Space Needle snow globe.
- Take questions/criticism in good spirits. Think collaboration, not critique.
- Not embarrass department with sinister space-apes conspiracy theory in front of RSA president.
- Stop making lists.