What follows is my current summer reading schedule. For those readers with whom I’ve bandied about the idea for an informal summer reading seminar, this offers some idea of the things I’m working with this summer. Maybe you’re into them too, and we can just pick books off each other’s personal lists to share during the summer; or, alternately, we can choose books that aren’t on anyone’s lists at present.
If you know what I’m talking about, you’ve been tagged–post your summer reading lists too!
- 28 April: Uptaught, Ken MacRorie Done!
- 5 May: The Methodical Memory, Sharon Crowley (half done)
- 12 May: Yearning: Race, Gender, & Cultural Politics & Talking Back: Thinking Feminist, Thinking Black, bell hooks
- 19 May: Empire, Michael Hardt & Anthony Negri (first half)
- 26 May: Empire, Michael Hardt & Anthony Negri (through end)
- 2 June: The Conquest of Cool: Business Culture, Counterculture, and the Rise of Hip Consumerism, Thomas Frank
- 9 June: Nova Express, Wm. S. Burroughs
- 16 June: The Medium is the Massage, Marshall McLuhan
- 23 June: Critical Intellectuals on Writing, Gary Olson & Lynn Worsham, eds.
- 30 June: The Illuminatus Trilogy!, Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson (through The Eye in the Pyramid)
- 7 July: The Illuminatus Trilogy!, Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson (through end)
- 14 July: The Cinematic Mode of Production, Jonathon Beller (‘cos I never technically finished and it looks to be on JP’s Fall syllabus)
- 21 July: A Grammar of the Multitude, Paolo Virno (for the reason cited directly above
That’s as far as I’ve gotten to date. If time allows, I’ll offer comments on MacRorie and Crowley by the end of the week. If there’s any questions or comments about the list, please post!