- Baumlin, James S. and Tita French Baumlin, eds. Ethos: New Essays in Rhetorical and Critical Theory. Dallas: Southern Methodist UP, 1994.
- Gamson, Joshua. Claims to Fame: Celebrity in Contemporary America. U of Cali P, 1994.
- Giles, David. Illusions of Immortality: A Psychology of Fame and Celebrity. New York: St. Martin’s Press, 2000.
- Gritten, David. Fame: Stripping Celebrity Bare. London: Allen Lane, 2002.
- Fowles, Jib. Starstruck: Celebrity Performers and the American Public. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1992.
- Hyde, Michael J., ed. The Ethos of Rhetoric. Studies in Rhetoric/Communication. Columbia, SC: U of South Carolina P, 2004.
- Rojek, Chris. Celebrity. Focus on Contemporary Issues. London: Reaktion Books, 2001.
- Young, Richard E. and Yameng Liu, eds. Landmark Essays on Rhetorical Invention in Writing. Landmark Essays. Davis, CA: Hermagoras Press, 1994.
- Zoonen, Liesbet van. Entertaining the Citizen: When Politics and Popular Culture Converge. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2005.
Some brief comments: I’ve also got a list of articles I have to track down, but at prsent I just wanted to record these books in case I have to turn them back in without getting to them.
My hopes are high for getting in to the RSA 2008 conference, but I don’t want to count those chicken just yet. Still, as I begin to think toward my m.a. project–now in it’s barest bones stage (i.e., I’ve decided to do it)–I figure I could use this as a potential direction for that project too. Or the metaphor thing. Or something about dictionaries/lexica/etc. Or Lennon. Or . . . I dunno.